Learn Spoken English Chapter 2.
For speaking native English you need to be aware of basic grammar, and the basics of English grammar start with Noun & Pronoun.
What is Noun?
Noun is the name of a person, a thing, or a place. Ex: Kamlesh, Mango, India, Computer.
What is Pronoun?
A pronoun is a word used in the place of a noun. These are I, He, She, It, we, you, and they
1. PRONOUNS: CATEGORY I
2. PRONOUNS: CATEGORY II
Category 1- I – Me Ex: He gave me a book.
Category 2- I – My Ex: My book is new.
C1- He – Him Ex: She gave him a book.
C2- He – His Ex: His book is small.
C1- She – Her Ex: They gave her a book.
C2- She – Her Ex: Her book is big.
C1- It – It Ex: They gave It.
C2- It – Its Ex: Its cost is high.
C1- We – Us Ex: He gave us a book.
C2- We – Our Ex: Our book is good.
C1- You – You Ex: They gave you a book.
C2- You – Your Ex: Your book is old.
C1- They – Them Ex: We gave them a book.
C2- They – Their Ex: Their book is bad.
Below are the rules used to replace Noun with Pronouns.
RULE 1: When speaking about things or animals, ‘It’ is to be used in the singular and ‘they’, in the plural.
Examples: The cat is small. It is in the Kitchen. / The cats are small. They are in the kitchen. / The biggest Tree is in the forest.
It is very beautiful. / the big tree are in the forest. They are beautiful. / The bag is very old. It cannot be used.
RULE 2: When speaking about persons, He/ She is to be used in the singular and They , in the plural.
Examples: Nisha is a bright student. She is from a remote village. / Raja is a good football player. He is an intelligent boy. / The students in our school are very intelligent. They work very hard. / The headmaster of our school is very young. He is very strict. / The headmistress of our school is new. She is a good teacher.
EXERCISE: Fill in the blanks with Personal Pronouns: her/his/our/my/their/its/your
Ex: They love……… dog very much.
Ans. They love their dog very much.
1. He repaired ……………car yesterday.
2. We have ………………… examinations from May.
3. The cat bit the child with………… teeth.
4. The trees in the forest have……………..own beauty.
5. She sang a song with …………… friends.
6. She brought ………………..children from the hostel yesterday.
7. I like ………… teachers in the school.
8. They broke ……………..promise in the morning.
9. Why didn’t you bring……..shoes today?
10. The prime minister will make………..first visit to our state tomorrow.
Correct the Mistakes in the use of personal pronouns
Ex: His younger brother is a good singer. It is in our school.
Ans: His younger brother is a good singer. He is in our school.
- The students are on strike today. It will burn the buses.
- His father will come tomorrow. She is a doctor.
- The cow at home gives milk. He eats lot of grass.
- The desks in our school are very big. It is made of wood.
- Geeta and Sheela are friends. There are from the same village.
You need to go through each and every line very deeply and try to understand each and every word. The more you read and repeat the more it will be easier for you. Read the chapter and Do the exercise so as to become an expert.
In the upcoming chapter, we will be learning about Verbs, Subject,s and Objects. Do leave comment for any query or suggestion.