In the previous chapter you learned about Auxiliary verbs and how they help in the formation of sentences. Auxiliary Verbs are also known as helping verbs and it helps in the formation of sentences. In this article, we learn Forming Question using is.
Click here for Chapter 5 – Learn Spoken English | Auxiliary Verbs.
So, How to Forming Question? Let’s see some Formula given below:
FORMULA FOR FORMING QUESTION:
Is subject + object + ?
Example: Is he an actor?
In the given above example, he is a subject and actor is an object.
FORMULA for YES answer
Subject + is + object
Example: Yes, he is an actor.
In the given above example, After Yes, he is a subject and actor is an object and between subject and object only ‘is’ is used for Yes answer.
FORMULA for NO answer
Subject + is not + object
Example: No, he is not an actor.
In the given above example, After Yes, he is a subject and actor is an object and between subject and object ‘is not’ is used for NO answer.
- Is he a singer? Yes, he is a singer. / No, he is not a singer
- Is he a cricket player? Yes, she is a cricket player. / No, she is not a cricket player.
- Is Vajpayee our Prime Minister? Yes, Vajpayee is our Prime Minister. / No, Vajpayee is not our Prime Minister.
- Is monkey an animal? Yes monkey is an animal. / No, monkey is not an animal.
- Is she his wife? Yes, she is his wife. / No, she is not his wife.
- Is your brother sick? Yes, my brother is sick, / No, my brother is not sick.
- Is he her husband? Yes, hi is her husband. / No, he is not her husband.
- Is your sister all right? Yes, my sister is all right. / No, my sister is not all right.
- Is your teacher from Kerala? Yes, my teacher is from Kerala. / No, mu teacher is not from Kerala.
- Is Chennai the capital of Tamil Nadu? Yes, Chennai is the capital of Tamil Nadu. / No, Chennai is not the capital of Tamil Nadu.
Answer the Questions with YES and NO:
- Is Sachin Tendulkar the captain of Indian cricket team?
- Is his shirt new?
- Is your answer correct?
- Is your sister a swimmer?
- Is his class at 6’O clock?
- Is his father a driver?
- Is her examination over?
- Is her mother a teacher?
- Is your father at home?
- Is India a poor country?
Form Question Using IS
- Your daughter is a clever student. Ans: Is your daughter a clever student?
- Her son is a hard worker. Ans: Is her son a hard worker?
- His mother is a nurse. Ans: Is her mother a nurse?
- New Delhi is the capital of India. Ans: Is New Delhi the capital of India?
- She is a very good artist. Ans: Is she a very good artist?
- My teacher is a kind person. Ans: Is your teacher a kind persin?
- My brother is an attentive student. Ans: Is my brother an attentive student.
- He is very lazy boy. Ans: Is he a very lazy boy?
- India is a poor country. Ans: Is India a poor country?
- Sonia is the leader of the Congress Party. Ans: Is Sonia the leader of the Congress Party?